Praying as a Family
Top Fourteen Ways to Pray as a Family
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy
and find grace to help us in our time of need. (Hebrews 4:16)
- Read a religious book together.
- Sing a song that everyone knows to praise God.
- Go to Mass together on Sundays and Holy Days.
- Have someone read their favorite Bible verse and talk about it.
- Listen to Christian music.
- Watch an inspirational video.
- Pray the Rosary together; even a decade of the Rosary.
- Go to Confession as a family.
- Take a walk, and play "I Spy", naming things you thank God for.
- Pray a prayer everyone knows, like the Our Father or Hail Mary.
- Keep a Bible in the car, and read some of it when going places as a family (school, trips, etc.)
- Take trips to Holy places.
- Have a family quiet time, where everyone prays or reads the Bible. Then, discuss.
- Attend special events that your church offers (retreats, parish missions, adoration).
Top Twelve Times to Pray as a Family
Pray constantly, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God
in Christ Jesus for you. (1 Thes. 5:17,18)
- In the morning, to start the day off in the best way…
- At bedtime, thanking God for the neat stuff that happened, and asking for blessed dreams.
- At meals, thanking God for our food, and for the wonderful people who prepared it.
- When kids leave to go to school, parents could give them a blessing.
- When someone is hurt; either physically or emotionally.
- When a kid has a test the next day.
- When mom or dad has had a bad day.
- When someone in our family is sick, that Jesus will heal them soon.
- Before going to Mass, so we can pay attention and pray well.
- When we hear a siren from a police car or fire engine.
- Before driving somewhere, so that the angels will protect us.
- At any time (in the shower, doing chores, while doing the dishes, etc.).
By Mary Beth Chik and Paul Masek
The REAP Team