Spring 2008 Newsletter
The REAP Team Benefit Concert with Same Day Kings and Chris Shepherd Band, a soccer star makes a shocking decision, a fashion show that won't scare your grandma, two intriguing videos, REAP Staffers answer your questions…"Why didn't he call?" and "Isn't sexual compatibility good for marriage?", funny phone calls, why believe in the resurrection and so much more!!!
REAP Team Newsletter
Read It and REAP!
GIVEAWAY #23 – Name this famous man…
On January 15, 2008, Paul Masek gave two copies of his newly released book set to someone who is pretty famous, and asked that person to keep one and to give one to someone much more famous. If you are one of the first five people to name either one or both of these people, Paul will send you two complimentary "Stirring It Up" stickers. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the correct answer.
News from our last giveaway!!! AND THE WINNER IS…
Congratulations to Lisa D. who knew that TROY POLAMALU is a very strong Catholic in every part of his life and a strong safety on the football field. His team (Pittsburgh Steelers) won the 2006 Super Bowl. Read a fascinating article on Troy Polamalu's Catholic faith.
REAP TEAM NEWS:
REAP Benefit Concert 2008 is THIS SATURDAY! – Rescheduled from the cancelled concert in December (due to snow and ice), this year's concert is aiming to be hot and hopping. The REAP Team welcomes Same Day Kings as the headliner. Opening will be the Chris Shepherd Band. This enormously popular event among St. Louis area Catholic teens and adults will take place at the DeSmet High School Auditorium on this Saturday night, April 5, 2008 at 7:30pm. The doors will open at 7pm. Tickets are only $5 at the door (no advanced ticket sales). Bring your friends, parents and your aunt's best buddy and we will see you soon!
Miss Jones had been giving her second-grade students a lesson on science. She had explained about magnets and showed how they would pick up nails and other bits of iron. Now it was question time, and she asked, "My name begins with the letter 'M' and I pick up things. What am I?"
Little Johnny in the front row proudly said, "You're a mother!"
(Don't forget Mother's Day on May 10th!)
"I don't need anything except love. The rest of it can come and go. I know a lot of people who are extremely rich, and they're the most miserable people I've ever met. Money can't buy you inspiration. For me, I'm finding that the less I have, the happier I am." – Singer/songwriter Lenny Kravitz, Rolling Stone, February 7, 2008, p. 28.
REAPER ON PBS – Okay, you can hardly see her, but she's there, trust us. This video clip showcases a young, growing religious community of sisters…the Nashville Dominicans. A former REAP Intern, Jen Sallwasser (now Sr. Margaret Mary) is about to take first vows with this community. She's been living with them for almost two years now. PBS did a special on this community because the women are so young and fun.
Show Me – A teen recently recommended the following video as something for reflection on your relationship with God. It's a music video to the song "Show Me" by John Legend. Thanks, Jasmine.
Gretchen's recent ramblings: Wolf Spiders
Heather's recent ramblings: Was it worth the wait?
Network of Interesting News
"Born of My Own Design" Pure Fashion St. Louis – The inaugural Pure Fashion Show in St. Louis will be a celebration of style and virtue! Nearly fifty first-time models from in and around St. Louis will showcase spring fashions that are trendy and tasteful, modern and modest. Pure Fashion St. Louis will be hosted by Miss Missouri 2006, Sarah French!
Sunday, April 20, 2008
Doors open at 2 pm; Show starts at 3 pm
A reception will follow the show.
Sheraton St. Louis City Center
Tickets can be purchased online at http://www.purefashion.com/ All tickets will be available for pick-up at the registration desk on the day of the show.
NET USA: Like the REAP Team? Interested in joining similar team that travels all across the nation? Consider applying to join NET (National Evangelization Team). Young people dedicate one school year of their life in serving the Church by giving retreats very similar to REAP retreats all across the country. You would travel to many states and meet tons of amazing people in your year of service. NET is looking for good, solid, involved Catholic young adults (Catholic Young Adults 18-28). Learn More!
Hot Teen Issues…
Recent Questions from Teens Answered by REAP Staffers
I really like this guy. He talks to me a bunch when we are together and then says he'll call or something, but he never follows through. I don't understand. What should I do?
Check out Heather's thoughts on the dream of a man and the dream of a woman and how we settle far too often. There are also great tips for the times when you're single…how to deal and wait with trust.
Before you marry someone, shouldn't you know whether or not you two are good together in bed? How can you marry someone if you don't know how the sex would be?
Funny link you'll just have to watch to understand why we love it…A tale of two brains!
How Dads Can Help Raise Strong Daughters – An Interview With Meg Meeker
See the signs – Helping parents, youth workers and educators be aware of the signs of teen suicide
Brokenness…deep and wide – The changing climate of American families
"Girls need to know that they can be sexy without showing skin."
– Actress Jessica Alba, CosmoGirl, February 2008, p. 72.
Recent REAP Podcasts
Have you heard our more recent podcasts? Why not? They are kickin'!
- My Stupid Fake Happy Self – part of Paul's new book Stirring It Up!
- Pope John Paul II Speech to Young People (Part One)
- Pope John Paul II Speech to Young People (Part Two)
- Raising Kids in Faith
- Instant Messaging and Prayer
DEEP THOUGHTS…(because sometimes real life is too funny)
Actual Phone Calls Made to a Travel Agent…
- I had someone ask for an aisle seat so that their hair wouldn't get messed up by being near the window.
- A client called in inquiring about a package to Hawaii. After going over all the cost information, she asked, "Would it be cheaper to fly to California and then take the train to Hawaii?"
- A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that it was not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me. I looked on the map, and Florida is a very thin state."
- A nice lady just called. She needed to know how it was possible that her flight from Detroit left at 8:20 a.m., and got into Chicago at 8:33 a.m.? I tried to explain that Michigan was an hour ahead of Illinois, but she could not understand the concept of time zones. Finally, I told her the plane went very fast, and she bought that!
- I just got off the phone with a man who asked, "How do I know which plane to get on?" I asked him what exactly he meant, to which he replied, "I was told my flight number is 823, but none of these darn planes have numbers on them!"
"We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as definitive and has as its highest value one's own ego and one's own desires… The church needs to withstand the tides of trends and the latest novelties." – Pope Benedict XVI
- Is it illogical to believe in the resurrection? If you have ever struggled wondering why we should believe in the existence of God, specifically in the person of Jesus, you MUST check out this "Spread the Word" edition. You can even be prepared when you're friends ask you such questions.
- Daily Catholic Devotional Online – sent right to your inbox! Receive for free every morning by e-mail the Readings of the day, the lives of the saints and a commentary on the Gospel selected among the best authors of two thousand years of Christianity: Fathers and Doctors of the Church, Saints and Popes. For free subscription and information see: http://www.dailygospel.org/
- Air 1 has Christian music playing 24-hours a day. Use this link to listen online now – Air 1!
To be removed from this e-mail list at any time, simply send a message to email@example.com with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line, and your e-mail address in the body of the note.