What does Jesus teach us about masks?
We all struggle with the temptation to wear masks, and it’s a lifelong struggle. We face temptations regularly – often daily – to try to be someone we’re not. Whether we are just trying to fit in, attempting to hide our hurts with the “I’m fine” mask, or doing whatever it takes to make others like us, the struggle is real. But, since this temptation is common to all people, we are in good company!
I think you could even make a case that Jesus was tempted to wear masks; in the Bible it says that Jesus was tempted in every way that we are, but never sinned. So, even though Jesus experienced the temptation to be fake, He never was. He was Himself all of the time. And by looking to Him, we can find help and inspiration as we strive to be true to ourselves.
Check this out ~
- When Jesus was sad, He cried. He didn’t wear the masks of being a tough guy who doesn’t express emotions. (John 11:35)
- Jesus celebrated special occasions; He knew how to have a good time. He went to went to a wedding reception, and there He even turned water into wine! (John 2:1-11)
- When Jesus was scared, He prayed. He knew He needed help, and was willing to ask His Father in Heaven for help. (Matthew 26:36-39)
- When Jesus needed others, He asked His friends for help. He knew He needed other people, too. (Matthew 26:38)
- When Jesus saw people who needed a friend, He hung out with them. He wasn’t afraid of what others might think. (Luke 5:29-32)
~ and those are just a few examples. We can find a lot more examples of Jesus being mask-free in the Scriptures. As a matter of fact, His whole life is a beautiful expression of mask-free living!
Since Jesus never wore masks, He can help us to resist the temptation to wear masks. So, when you struggle with masks – as we all do – ask Jesus to help you. And He will! Two of my favorite prayers are “Jesus, make me into the person that you created me to be” and “Lord, help me to be the best version of myself.”
Jesus also has a lot to teach us about what happens if we try not to wear masks. Some of the things that happened to Jesus will also happen to us, including, but not limited to these things ~
- Most people will admire us and look up to us, just as most people admire Jesus and look up to Him. The people I know who don’t wear masks are awesome, and most people really respect them. I have a friend, Joe. He is in 9th grade, and He doesn’t wear masks. Even though I am a kind of a grown-up, I totally admire this teenager. I have a father-in-law. His name is Bob, and He doesn’t wear masks. I totally admire this man even though He is much older than me. Think for a second of someone you know who doesn’t wear masks – a good friend, a grandparent, a brother or sister, your mom or dad. As soon as you can, please call them or text them to let them how much you admire them.
- Some people will reject you, just for being yourself. When I was younger, people made fun of me because I liked to study and I liked my teachers. As a teenager, people made fun of me because I didn’t always wear the most stylish clothes. Even now, some people make fun of me because I work with the REAP Team and I’m not afraid to admit that I love Jesus. Sometimes when we don’t wear masks, people reject us. People rejected Jesus. The didn’t want Him to be Himself. He was made fun of. But, don’t worry too much if people make fun of you. They made fun of Jesus. But He always prayed for them. Even from the Cross he prayed, “Father forgive them, they know not what they do.” I think we should pray right now for people who make fun of us for being ourselves, using the words of Jesus, “Father, forgive them. They know not what they do.” Amen.
- Some people will follow you, and you will change their lives. Jesus’ disciples followed Him because they admired Him so much. There was a time in my life when I didn’t know Jesus, and God sent this really cool friend into my life. My friend didn’t wear masks, and He loved Jesus. I wanted to be like him, in the best way possible. I wanted to be authentic like he was. I followed him, and he helped me to meet Jesus. If you don’t wear masks, some people will want to be like you. You will be a leader worth following. And, if they follow you, they will come to know Jesus better. There is nothing better in life than helping someone to find Jesus. So, here’s one more prayer, “Jesus, help me to be a leader by the way I don’t wear masks, so that I can lead other people to You.” Amen.
Want more help? Here are some tips on Removing Masks.