What does Jesus teach us about masks?
We all struggle with masks. Jesus was event tempted to wear masks, but He didn’t. He was Himself all of the time. Here’s how we know…
All of our lives, we all struggle with masks. We face temptation, sometimes daily, to be someone that we are not, just to fit in or to hide our hurt or to make others like us.
Thanks be to God, the Father sent Jesus to be our role model and to give us hope and help when we struggle with masks. In the Bible it says that Jesus was tempted in every way that we are, but never sinned. So, Jesus was tempted to wear masks, but He didn’t. He was Himself all of the time.
- When Jesus was sad, he cried. He didn’t wear the masks of being a tough guy who doesn’t cry. (John 11:35)
- When Jesus was happy, he laughed and smiled. He went to parties, and was not afraid to have a good time. (John 2:1-11)
- When Jesus was scared, He prayed. He knew He needed help, and was willing to ask His Father in heaven for help. (Matthew 26:36)
- When Jesus needed others, He asked His friends for help. He knew He needed other people, too. (Matthew 26:38)
- When Jesus saw people who needed a friend, He hung out with them. He wasn’t afraid of what others might think. (Luke 5:29-30)
You see, Jesus never wore masks. So, He can help us to resist temptation to wear masks. So, when you struggle with masks, ask for Jesus to help you. He will. One of my regular prayers is “Jesus, make me into the person that you created me to be.”
Jesus has a lot to teach us about what happens if we try to not wear masks. Some things that happened to Jesus will also happen to us.
- Most people will admire us. Most people admire Jesus, and look up to Him. The people I know who don’t wear masks are awesome, and most people admire them. I have a friend, Joe. He is in 9th grade, and He doesn’t wear masks. Even though I am a grown-up, I totally admire this teenager. I have a father-in-law. His name is Bob, and He doesn’t wear masks. I totally admire this retired man. Think for a second of someone you know who doesn’t wear masks – a good friend, a grandparent, a brother or sister, your mom or dad. As soon as you can, please tell them how much you admire them.
- Some people will reject you, just for being yourself. When I was younger, people made fun of me because I liked to study and I liked my teachers. As a teenager, people made fun of me because I didn’t always wear the most stylish clothes. Even now, some people make fun of me because I work with the REAP Team and love Jesus. Sometimes when we don’t wear masks, people reject us. People rejected Jesus. The didn’t want Him to be Himself. He was made fun of. But, don’t worry if people make fun of you. They made fun of Jesus. But He always prayed for them. Even from the Cross he prayed, “Father forgive them, they know not what they do.” Let’s pray right now for people who make fun of us for being ourselves and following Jesus. “Father, forgive them. They know not what they do.”
- Some people will follow you, and you will change their lives. Jesus’ disciples followed Him, because they admired Him so much. There was a time in my life when I didn’t know Jesus, and God sent this really cool friend into my life. His name is Patrick. Patrick didn’t wear masks, and He loved Jesus. I wanted to be like Patrick. I followed him, and he helped me to meet Jesus. If you don’t wear masks, some people will want to be like you. You will be a leader and they will follow a leader. And, if they follow you, they will come to know Jesus. There is nothing better in life than helping someone to find Jesus. So, here’s one more prayer, “Jesus, help me to be a leader by the way I don’t wear masks, so that I can lead other people to you.”
Here are some tips on Removing Masks.